One day I will post about my 4th of July weekend in Bear Lake and our progress on the house.
But, today is not that day.
Today I have to write about something that hasn't been given as much attention by yours truly as it should be: this Thursday.
Why? Two words: HARRY. POTTER.
My step-mom's work got tickets for a preview showing of the movie on Thursday evening. Needless to say, we're INSANELY stoked.
However, is it just more does the coming of this movie seem to have a different feeling than the others? A bit less exciting and a bit more somber? I can only pin point it to one thing; the fact that after this it's going to be over. I remember getting about half way through the seventh book and feeling the same way. I was so anxious to find out what was going to happen, how it all would end, but I knew that once I got there, it was over. There weren't any more books coming. No more midnight book releases. But, I was able to console myself by telling myself that there were still the movies. They, of course, are nowhere near as awesome as the books, but it's always exciting when they come out.
This has been a really strange and bizarre thing to wrap my mind around. For the last 12 years of my life I have been captivated by Harry Potter and the excitement of new book and movie releases. This week it's over.
I also feel like it came SO fast. When the first half of this movie came out I thought July would never get here. It seemed SO long to have to wait, but the months since them had flew by and now that exciting day I've been waiting for is on my door step.
But, I just read a quote about Daniel Radcliffe that just sort of made everything all better:
"I don't think the end of the story happens tonight, because each and every person, not only in this square, but also watching around the world, who will see this film and who have followed these films over the last ten years, will carry this story with them through the rest of their lives , and it will affect what they do." (and I'd like to add " who they are" to the end of that.)
Thanks Daniel/Harry, for saying exactly what I needed to hear and expressing exactly how I feel.
Enough about the somberness of the occasion though. I really just want to tell you a little bit about why I love Harry Potter.
- It really is a HUGE part of why I love to read. It was the first book that I really just couldn't put down. I like reading before I read Harry Potter, but it always came to the point where I'd want to stop and go do something else. Not with Harry Potter. These books have given me one of the most precious gifts in the world: a true love for reading.
- The characters. I love almost every character in these books. Almost every character that's not a death eater anyway. And, even then, I kind of like the Malfoys. I definately don't love them, but I'll always have a little soft spot for Narcissa, since she did basically save Harry. I have a really hard time narrowing down my very favorites. I seriously just love almost all of them so much. I don't think I've ever read anything else that had so many wonderful characters in it.
ALBUS PERCIVAL WULFRIC BRIAN DUMBLEDORE
First of all, how cool is his name? Dumbledore has always and will always be my very favorite. He's amazing, powerful, incredibly wise...what's not to like? Also, he's super quirky. I think people forget that a lot. I even forget that, but it's one of the best things about him. I find the fact that he loves lemon drops and raspberry jam incredibly indearing. Plus, he can speak mermish. Enough said. When I read the sixth book I cried from the time he died until the very end of the book. I still cry every time I read that part and every time I watch the sixth movie. I just love him.
HARRY JAMES POTTER
Again, the name. Isn't that a fantastic name? I know, it's cliche and sometimes it seems lame to love the main character, but come on. He's amazing. He has so much just pushed on him and he takes it. He doesn't back down from what he believes in because others think he's crazy. I really admire that. I really don't think I could do that, but it's a quality I really want to possess. He has his whiny moments, but all in all I think he's incredibly noble and brave. Plus, he always said that he was Dumbledore's man, through and through. The first time I read that I was sold on Harry. I also did always find him really attractive while reading the books, which didn't hinder my love for him one bit.
HERMIONE JEAN GRANGER
She is just plain wonderful. My love for her is a recent development. She didn't become one of my favorites until last summer when I re-read/listened to all of the books to prepare myself for the first half of the 7th movie. She's brilliant and I just adore her love for learning. She's a true friend and honestly, just plain rocks. I mean, really, where would Ron and Harry be without her? In a lot of ways she's the sort of person I want to be. She never gives up and she's incredibly brave. She always had the utmost integrity too.
- The names. The names in these books are absolutely wonderful. Let me list some of my favorites: Alastor, Albus, Regulus, Sirius, Remus, Karkaroff, Dolohov, Severus....I could really go on and on.
- The friendships. They're so beautiful. The love the characters have for eachother is wonderful.
- Last but not least, the story. You can't deny it, it's wonderful. It's mind boggling-amazing! The plot, the messages, the symbolism. Sigh.
Now, let's face it. This post wouldn't be complete without some amazing quotes:
"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open." ~J.K. Rowling, "The Beginning," Harry Potter andthe Goblet of Fire, 2000, spoken by the character Albus Dumbledore
"There was no point in worrying yet.... what would come, would come... and he would have to meet it when it did." ~J.K. Rowling, "TheBeginning," Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, 2000
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on. ~J.K. Rowling, "ASluggish Memory," Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, 2005,spoken by the character Albus Dumbledore
And, my personal favorites:
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." -J.K. Rowling spoken by Albus Dumbledore
"It was, he thought, the difference between being dragged into the arena to face a battle to the death and walking into the arena with your head held high. Some people, perhaps, would say that there was little to choose between the two ways, but Dumbledore knew - and so do I, thought Harry, with a rush of fierce pride, and so did my parents - that there was all the difference in the world." ~J.K. Rowling, "Horcruxes," Harry Potter andthe Half-Blood Prince, 2005




2 comments:
So, I'm sort of crying while I read this post. I wasn't until I read the last quote and saw the first few pictures of us back on those grand Harry Potter nights.
I wish we could all be together for the last one.
I love how much you love Harry Potter! It truly is a world-wide phenomenon. Such an outstanding story and world that J.K. Rowling created. It's so inspiring - I love that it encourages everyone to be more creative & imaginative. YAY that it's THIS WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!
Post a Comment